MaeLynn's Final Resting Place

MaeLynn's Final Resting Place
I went over to the cemetery the day after Memorial Day. You can tell she was so loved...and still is.

MaeLynn's Hummingbird Box

MaeLynn's Hummingbird Box
MaeLynn and Andy have been having a lot of fun getting into their artistic sides lately. This is one of MaeLynn's projects from this fall.

Monday, August 10, 2009

From MaeLynn

Hello all! This is MaeLynn. I thought that maybe it's time I say something on here. First, I'm so grateful to Laura for having the ambition to create a blog for me in the first place. Those of you who know me well know that I'm a tech/electronics/computer idiot. Actually, I just don't care about tech/electronics/computers. There are just so many other things I'd rather spend my time on--or have to spend my time on. I just get way too frustrated long before I learn how to do anything. I just want to get things done and don't enjoy trying to figure things (like posting pictures or creating a blog) out on my own. My kids are screwed because Andrew doesn't care about it either. Anywho, thank you Laura!

I feel bad that there are still people who don't know that I have terminal cancer. It's not an easy thing to just slip into conversation. I told many close friends and family on the phone. It's easier than face to face because often the person I am talking to will not respond (for an uncomfortable amount of time) or will burst into tears. I have found myself saying sorry--sorry to be the deliverer of bad news! I debated for two months before finally putting a note on my face book page about this blog. Finding out through the computer seems so cold and impersonal. Plus, I don't want to say, "Look at me, look at me, feel bad for me." That's not what I am trying to do. It's just that in the middle of the night I still think of people I haven't told. I'd like that to stop.

So, the update is that nothing has changed. I feel fine. Of course, I get tired easier, but that is my biggest complaint. I take a nap every afternoon when the twins and Abby do, and Andrew basically takes over every night when he gets home from work. I have been extremely blessed. The doctor gave me some digestive enzyme pills that I take every time I eat, and that has actually eliminated the pain that caused me to go to the doctor in the first place. The tumors in my liver and pancreas are secreting a hormone called Chromogranin A. The doctors don't even really know what Chromogranin A does (because people only have about 50 parts per million), but apparently large doses cause hot flashes. Some days are worse than others. I don't know why. I have an appointment with my internist on Aug. 25th. I am sure we will do blood work then and see where we are. I don't have any future appointments with the oncologist scheduled. He was fabulous, but may not understand why a 29-year-old has chosen not to pursue treatment.

I just have to say that I can testify that our Lord works in mysterious ways. So many good things have come from my diagnosis. Sounds crazy, I know. I'd like to share a few of them. Being terminally ill has caused me to:

* have conversations with loved ones that I had been avoiding for years
* develop a better relationship with my Savior and be more faithful in doing things I have always felt were important
* be more forgiving and accepting of Andrew's weaknesses
* be more patient with the kids. They really are sweet. The naughty things they do usually stem from curiousity.
* re-evaluate my priorities. A clean house is really not important.

It has also:
* served (as bad things usually do) as a reminder to other people that life is fragile. We all act like we have tons of tomorrows, we really don't.
* caused people to serve. Sometimes it's hard to be the recipient of service, but for me it's been fabulous! I love having people around me. Perhaps the people who are serving need an opportunity or motivator to serve more than I need my laundry done. It's silly that we don't just serve each other because we want to. Why do people have to "need" service before we do anything to help? Anyway, four months ago I was struggling with the fact that I felt alone on a daily basis. I was overwhelmed with my responsibilities, and continually thought, "How is it possible that I live on a planet with six plus billion people and feel so abandoned?" Well, strange thing happened---I got cancer and now there are people around me all the time!

I have learned so many things in the last two months. I am excited to see what else I learn along the way. Love you all, MaeLynn

10 comments:

  1. I can see how it would be hard to tell people in person--it's hard to know how to react to news like that, and at least doing it over the computer gives people a chance to compose themselves.

    I am one of those people that has been reminded of what is really important because of what you and your family are going through. Thank you for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a strong person and great example to your family and friends. I'm so happy I was able to get to know you from mutual friends in high school.
    I learned on the computer a couple months ago and it didn't bother me. I was shocked and felt guilty for not spending more time with you at the high school reunion. I hope you were able to see many fun familiar faces that night. Our family will continue to pray for you and your family. The Lord's will is amazing and humbling to follow.
    Much Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I am so inspiried by your positive attitude and great outlook on life. You are such an amazing person and I just can't even imagine how hard all of this must be! I think of you constantly and would love to help in any way that I can. Please let me know what I can do! Hang in there. We are praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mae - I feel terrible that I haven't gotten down to see you (but I am sure after next week, you will be sick of me) ha ha. I am glad to see you still have your same great spirit and attitude. We are going to have a blast when we get together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mae, it's great to hear from you. I've been wanting to check in with you and see how you are, but I also want to give you the space to spend time with the people who matter most. I hope we do get to touch base soon.

    I am glad that you're open to telling people via the computer. Anything that takes the stress off. I'm not sure if you knew this, but I posted about you on my blog the day I heard. Some people said some gorgeous things: http://bristleconepine.blogspot.com/2009/06/for-maelynn-my-friend.html .

    Keep it up. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mae - I'm trully inspired by your strength and example. I wish I had gotten to see you May. Aaron and I will be out there again this May and will make a trip to Logan for sure. I think of you daily and pray for you always. Hang in there. Know that you are loved.

    Love, KTnanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. MaeLynn - It was really nice to see you a few weeks ago. It really puts a perspective on life. My only brother and sibling passed away in a car accident last week and I know that the Gospel is the only thing getting me through. I know there is a reason and only the good die young! Hang in there girl and definitely let me serve.
    Jennie Johnson - Yorkshire Ward

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mea it has been a while since I have talked with you and I was really sad to hear what was going on with you from Brittany. I think that you have such a great attitude about everything. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have a saying on my wall that says "I hope that my children look back on today and remember a Mother who had time to play" so that I am always reminded just how important and wonderful our time with our children really is. I am sure that you are cherishing every moment good luck with everything! Love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maelynn! You are such an amazing person! I'm so glad you are feeling a little better now and hope you have more time with us than the doctors say :) You have a beautiful family and I hope to keep in touch with you when I move from the ward :( so sad, but exciting for us at the same time. God bless you, Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mae! I got a message from Janice this morning about your cancer. I am so so sorry. I am in tears and awe. You really do have a wonderful perspective. I hope that I can reach out to people when they don't really "need" help more and when they do. Life really is fragile. Your name will be in the AK temple every month. You will be in my thoughts and prayers! Lots of love and luck! XOXO

    ReplyDelete