MaeLynn's Final Resting Place

MaeLynn's Final Resting Place
I went over to the cemetery the day after Memorial Day. You can tell she was so loved...and still is.

MaeLynn's Hummingbird Box

MaeLynn's Hummingbird Box
MaeLynn and Andy have been having a lot of fun getting into their artistic sides lately. This is one of MaeLynn's projects from this fall.

Friday, June 5, 2009

My Blog by Laura

Hey everyone! This is Laura, MaeLynn's cousin, starting a blog for Mae. Also for all you who are wondering exactly what is going on and want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I guess that makes me the horse, and hopefully I can do a good job of this.

So here goes.

If you're reading this blog, you already know that MaeLynn found out this last Wednesday that she is in stage 4 of low-grade neuroendocrine cancer. They have found it in her pancreas and liver, and will be doing more tests on Monday, June 15th, 2009 to see if it has spread to other areas.

MaeLynn is doing all right. She has been having abdominal and back pains since October, and since she found out this news, they don't seem to be any better or worse...just still there, of course.

She will be talking to an oncologist on Tuesday to figure out a plan of attack, but until then, she doesn't know exactly what will be happening.

The doctors say that statisitically people with this type of cancer (which is actually quite rare) live 3-5 years. We wish it was decades, but it is what it is.

She has five kids now, the oldest one will turn seven in July. The youngest will be two in August. When Andy took Ellie, the five-year-old aside to talk to her about MaeLynn's condition, her first question was, "Where will we bury her?" (MaeLynn said she could just picture Ellie thinking about the dogs buried in the backyard or out on the farm) So Andy took her to the cemetery to show her, and she looked worried. "Are we going to have to dig the hole?" No, "Oh No!" or tears or anything...just hopes that she wasn't going to have to do all the work.

Later when they were talking about how people get their hair and make-up done and wear their temple clothes when they die, Ellie asked, "Doesn't all your hair fall out when you die?" And Andy said, "No...in fact it keeps growing after you die," thinking 'just a little'. But Ellie thought for a minute and asked, "So when we're wez-uh-wected will we all have weally long hair?"

It gave Andy and Mae a good laugh, and hopefully the funny moments will make the unbearable ones more bearable.

More to come next week!

10 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say besides that fact that I love you Mae. You and your family will be in my prayers. Keep me updated. I definatley want to know when I should be coming out there. I want to see you smaile and make you laugh. Maybe after the baby comes we can make the trip so everyone can meet her or him. I still feel like it is a boy. I'm really sad that I couldn't make it up there to see you all last month. Give hugs and kisses to all your cute kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaeLynn, you and your family are in my prayers! One thing I learned through our experiences with little Laurie last year is that God answers prayers. He doesn't always answer in the way we think is best, or in the way we think is even possible, but he does answer. I strongly believe in miracles. Heavenly Father will pour out miracles upon your family. He'll help old wounds be healed, memories will last, and hearts will be mended! He'll help you and send you comfort and peace. MaeLynn, you an amazing person and a wonderful wife and mother. You're so funny and just down to earth. You are incredible!

    Since RSV season is done... I would LOVE to watch your kids - all of them - for you sometime so you can either get some rest or go on a date with your hubby. You might as well let me do it, because I'm going to keep calling until you let me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow… umm Wow.
    Thanks Laura for the blog, Mae - you are too sweet to soooo many that it would be impossible to call them all. Can I say it again…wow.
    Just knocked me over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MaeLynn - this is your cousin Melissa (www.jakeandmelissa.com). I just want to say that I love you so much and you are in my prayers. I know that you and your family will be very blessed as you go through this experience. I'd love to come see you when we're up in Logan next. Not sure how soon that will be since I'm still getting used to even just getting to the grocery store with a new baby (and he's not that new anymore after 3 1/2 months!)... In the meantime, I love you and you are truly a blessing to everyone who is lucky enough to know you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I don't even know what to say. I love you and will pray for you and your family. I just wish I had listened to the spirit when it prompted me to call you all those times during the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just barely got an email from Jamie D. right now. I just want to say that Mae, I love you. My prayers are with you and your family. I enjoyed talking to you a few weeks ago.

    If there is any support I can give, you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband also has terminal neuroendocrine cancer, first found in is pancreas, then liver, then elsewhere in the abdomen/lungs/bones. I would love to connect with Mae to see if I can be of any help to her. We've had four years of experience with various surgeries and chemo treatments. I got to your blog through a mutual friend. My blog about my husband's cancer is www.tmk-cancer.blogspot.com. Please email me! kimberlyburnett@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. MaeLynn, even though I've only met you a couple of times I feel like I know you because of how much Sarah always talks about you. The news hit me hard--I felt like it was one of my best friends it was happening to. My husband and I have been praying for you since we found out. I was so excited to hear that you'd been given a place to vacation and make some memories! I will stay tuned to your Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MaeLynn, I just heard the news from Alisa, and it hit me really hard. Even though I haven't seen you in a many years, I wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you. God bless you and your family. I hate cancer, so do me a personal favor and kick the crap out of it.
    -Nate Coles

    ReplyDelete
  10. MaeLynn, You and your family are in my prayers. If there is anything I can do, anything at all please let me know. I know we have not spoken in years but I adore you all the same. I love you and know that as difficult as this time will be, it will be filled with so many beautiful memories. A really wise mother that was in a cancer support group I attended once said, "that cancer does not define you, it only refines you". That quote has brought me much hope and peace and I hope that as you are in the refiners fire that you can find that same hope and peace. -Jenny Taylor - jtaylor@repbkut.com

    ReplyDelete